More information on the March Photo Challenge can be found here.
About this photo: As many of you know, I walk or bike to work most days. Contrary to what many of my friends think, this has actually been an amazing experience. For the first time I feel truly connected to the seasons and my surroundings. In the past, I observed winter, spring, summer and fall while darting from home, to vehicle, to building, to vehicle, etc. If you think about it, we are really just innocent bystanders to the outside world, taking it in through panes of glass while breathing recycled air. When is the last time you spent one hour every day outside?
I walk in the rain, wind and snow. I walk in stifling heat and through thick fog. I walk during soft spring days, crisp fall mornings and sultry summer afternoons. I experience the change in seasons and notice tiny things that I would have otherwise been blind to had I been cruising down the road at 45 miles per hour. I see the crocuses sprout. I see the change in birds as new species migrate in and out. I see the leaves turn colors and drop as I walk under tired branches. Today I got to plod through several inches of heavy wet snow. I paused to take this photo of a daffodil, bending under the weight of a late-season snow.
I have been walking long enough now to be familiar with the families along the way. I watch from the sidewalk as their kids grow up. I see them hanging Christmas lights and then, a month later, hauling brittle brown trees to the curb. I watch husbands play catch with their sons and wives plant flowers with their daughters. To these families I’m just a stranger with boots on. For me, though, these families are reminders of a future that lies just out of reach. And so I’ll walk home tonight and settle to live vicariously through the 20 second snippets of their life I catch while passing by.
And now for the lovely March Photo Challenge participants. There are some super fun, creative photos being posted. You all should totally stop by and say hello!
*List last updated at 9:30 a.m., March 5
- Mrs. GreenGrass at Baby Making Merry-go-Round
- Samantha Cass at The Cass Family
- Future Super Mom at Pregnancy 101
- Trisha from The Elusive Second Line
- Unaffected from For We Are Bound By Symmetry
- Robin from I’m Polycystic Inside
- Chanel from Just Waiting My Turn
- April from Where Do We Go From Here?
- Bon from My Unassuming Life
- Lora from Hope Delayed
- Rice Cakes & Redemption
- Jen at Sprout
- Aub at A Long Suffering Heart
- Annabelle at Infertility Sucks
- Peg at Que Sera Sera
- Ozifrog at Maybe Baby and the Adventures of Hub-in-Boots
- D. at Don’t Call Me Brenda
- Em at Follow Every Rainbow
- Emily at A Blanket to Keep
- (In)Fertility Unexplained
- Lisa at Hapa Hopes
- Jules at The Quest for Little Lambies
- Jenn at Future Fords
- Anna at Life With Twins is Never Dull
- Mrs. Rochester at It’s Gonna Happen
- Veetamia at Lovely Transitions
- Evelyn at Baby Makes 2
- K. Smitty at Daydreaming in Progress
- Mrs. Optimistic at Nothing If Not Optimistic
- 35 Life at Starting My Life At 35
- Infertile First Mom
- M3L at Re-Inventing Me
- Emily at The Empty Uterus
- Esperanza at Stumbling Gracefully
- Jessah at (waiting on link)
- Mission: Fertile Seoul
- Ess at Good Luck – Try Again
- Allycatm at A Baby Making Diary
- Slyn at Home Grown Love