New Look 6871 & Noodlehead Envelope Clutch
The miscarriage has left me short on words but brimming with inspiration in my sewing room. Sewing is the most cathartic pastime I have yet to find. Hours upon hours can slip away as I cut, pin and stitch yards of fabric. The weekend before we officially learned Pip had died I just knew something was wrong. People who say you can’t tell when your baby dies at an early stage are full of beans. Alone in the house, I knew I had to keep my hands busy otherwise I might go insane so I made a trip to the fabric store and picked up the New Look 6871 pattern and some adorable navy fabric with tiny gray, mustard and red dots. For those who don’t know, I love navy and mustard. I also bought some yardage of another fabric to make a tunic, which I will post tomorrow.
I set to work, measuring, cutting, pinning and creating. In just one afternoon I had created my first successful top, complete with finished seams and bias tape trimming. The tiny finishing details of sewing are what I love. I want my creations to be beautiful inside and out. I’m really happy with how the top came out – it was easy to sew, taught me a few new techniques like gathering and using bias tape to finish seams. I also used some of my recently acquired knowledge on measuring to help ensure the pattern fit properly. (For those curious, I used Version D of 6871 but left off the lower contrasting fabric – my torso is freaky short and that would have made the top an unflattering length.)
I will definitely make this top again, but next time will choose a softer, more flowing fabric. The inexpensive quilters cotton is a bit stiff and boxy for my taste. The boxiness right now, though, might be a blessing in disguise as it helps to hide the 10 pounds I have gained during the IVF/FET/miscarriage fiasco! Here are a few bad photos. Pardon how out of focus they are, it seems my camera was on manual focus and I am too lazy to re-shoot them. Also, ignore the trashy dark roots I have. I’m getting the hair fixed tomorrow!
This week I whipped up the Noodlehead Envelope Clutch to go with this top and several other outfits I have. This clutch is the ultimate scrap buster project! I used up a bit of some old canvas drapes, some left over yellow cotton lawn from a ruffled scarf and some bits of two fat quarters I picked up because they made me think of uterine lining and embryos (I seriously have problems). I made a couple of mistakes and my top stitching is less-than-lovely, but it was a good first try. I hope to make a few more to perfect it and then possibly make some to give as gifts with treats inside.
Stay tuned for my next sewing project: Sew Liberated’s Schoolhouse Tunic!