Sewing – Boppy Cover
Beginning seamstress Belle learned to always order more fabric then your pattern called for because there WILL be mistakes. Since the Chicken’s quilt was the first quilt I’ve made, I decided to order a little extra of all the fabrics just to make certain there was enough.
While I did make mistakes that required recutting, I’m pleased that they were all pretty small mistakes and demanded very little extra fabric. Now I’m left with a stack of leftovers and am looking to use it in creative ways.
I snagged a gently used Boppy Pillow on e-Bay for $12. Great deal, right? Eh, sort of. This Boppy came with a bright pink fuzzy cover that, while not bad, just is not my style. Friday evening I set to work following this tutorial and putting together a custom Boppy cover using some of my leftover quilt scraps. While this is far from my best work (lumpy looking ends likely from a very tired & pregnant crafter) I’ve deemed it acceptable considering it will just be spit-up on by baby and shed upon by cats! (Every time I proof a sentence that has the phrase “shed upon” in it I stumble and think it says “shat upon.” For the record, my cats don’t “shat” in or on anything other then their designated cat boxes!)
The most challenging part of this tutorial was actually piecing together the pattern – you want to make sure all the gray areas are covered, otherwise your pattern will come out all wrong and leave you wondering if you did, in fact, graduate Kindergarten. 🙂
Several folks have inquired on the quilt. I finished the piecing the top in two weekends – it was surprisingly easy! Then the top sat around in my sewing room collecting dust while I mulled over quilting it myself or sending it out for professional quilting. Ultimately, I decided that since I spent a good deal on the fabric (this was definitely a splurge) I should not risk ruining it with my first attempt at quilting. On Saturday I dropped it off at my local quilt shop to be professionally quilted. I’ll pick it up sometime before May (they were REALLY backlogged!) and will bind it myself. I’ll be sure to post completed photos when it is done!