*First, guess who forgot about taking a belly photo due to her extremely foul mood this weekend? THIS LADY! Maybe I’ll have time tonight.
Friday was a long, miserable day of waiting. Every time the Professor popped into my IM list I asked, “Any word yet?” and he would reply “No. But I like to think no news is good news.”
By 7 that night he still had not gotten a call regarding the job. He went off to dinner with some math folks and I went to bed, a sad, soggy, extremely stressed out woman. Saturday morning he left town early for an overnight trip to talk some more math with some fancier math people. I slugged around the house all morning and eventually took myself out for lunch with a girlfriend. The afternoon was spent getting groceries and visiting a few consignment shops where I treated myself to a couple new maternity items hoping that a little retail therapy would cheer me up.
I made a boring dinner for one (baked chicken with mustard, brussels sprouts, squash and “riced” cauliflower) and ate it while watching The Hours, which turns out to be a very poor choice when you are pregnant and feeling incredibly hopeless and trapped. After the movie I proceeded to lay in bed having my first panic attack since starting Prozac.
At 4:30 in the morning I was done trying to sleep and crawled out of bed to make breakfast. At 5:30 I heard my phone chime with an email. It was a forward from the Professor with the subject line “FWD: position at University in NYC”
Fuck. Here we go.
I hit open.
We have been moving at glacial speed and now I’m away on vacation…. I want you to know that we will extend an offer to you soon…. If you have any questions contact Dr. Blahbity Blah”
I had to read this three times until things sank in. Not exactly an offer, but the promise of an offer. An offer coming soon. An offer for a job that actually moves his career forward vs. treading water or even back peddling by staying here another year. An offer that is not in the desert with scary things that bite and sting you (hello scorpions) and a trailer belonging to his parents.
That night the Professor came home hung over (evidently there was lots of drunken math Saturday night) and on cloud nine. He even cleaned up the sun room and mopped and vacuumed the floors with me only having to ask once ~ NEW RECORD~
While this position is not our top choice, it does move his career forward. It takes his research in a bio-medical direction, it plugs him into the private Jesuit university system and it should bring him a slew of connections. It is only a two to four-year position, meaning I will not be trapped in NYC long-term. While I have no doubt that it will be a really fun place to be for a few years, it is not where my heart lies. I have felt called to the Pacific Northwest for years now. Hopefully this job will get us there next stop.
I wish I had more details – like how the hell we are going to live in such an expensive city on such a tiny professor income and where the hell will I work – but I don’t. We’ll know more when the official offer comes and we see what kind of salary we are looking at. Then I can start selling the large majority of our stuff, vehicles included, on e-Bay and Craigslist. Anyone interested in being notified of when the fire sale starts? We have a lot of useful stuff and a lot of total crap. There are tools, kitchen items, Christmas trees, clothing, craft stuff, furniture (including some now discontinued Ikea pieces), an embarrassing number of wire storage racks and more. All proceeds benefit getting the Chicken moved into his or her new closet-sized bedroom.
So that is the great update that was promised last week after I bellyached about living in a trailer (which now would be spacious compared to the shoe box we’ll rent in NYC!) and having to work after birthing the Chicken (still gonna have to happen, but hopefully I can hold off for the first six months). My password post was a big, rude rant that I now feel like an ass hat for writing, but sometimes a gal’s gotta get it off her chest, you know? Stay tuned for more updates as we start to iron out details and set a firm-ish move date for after the Chicken is born.
As an aside, the Professor still has not received a rejection from the tenure track job in the Pacific Northwest. Once he has a dollar offer in hand from the NYC job he will follow-up there. I am CLINGING to the hope that he is their top choice and that due to the sequester (boo Washington) they are taking their sweet time. So maybe my dream of being a crunchy mama out west can still come true… Otherwise, it’s bright lights and big city for this Southern Belle.