Let’s shift gears after yesterday’s hysterical post, shall we?
On Friday I hit the 27 week mark, which I thought was considered the end of the second trimester and beginning of the third, but some sources say it is not until the 28th week, while other still say the 27th… I don’t know! Saying “second trimester” is getting a little boring so I am pretending it’s now the third 🙂
So what did I learn during the second trimester? A lot!
- I learned that your boobs might start to leak, and that sometimes they might explode.
- I learned that your belly, which sort of crept along during the first trimester and the first half of the second, will suddenly lash out with unprecedented growth around 23/24 weeks.
- I continued to learn that pregnancy gas is gross.
- I learned that pregnancy constipation is different than my regular constipation in that it takes several doses of poo cocktail (Miralax and juice) to get things going.
- I learned that I’m one of the lucky few who gets covered with gross red spider veins due to increased estrogen and blood volume.
- I learned that an awful lot of people like to give you what I have started calling “ASSvice,” that annoying advice that you really did not need to hear. You know, the advice that “prepares you” for how horrible parenthood will be, how torturous labor will be and how to “prepare” for when you fail at something like breast feeding. Yeah, that sort of negative-ass advice is ASSvice and boy do people like to dish it out!
- I learned that picking baby names is HARD (and still is hard as we have yet to choose a boy name).
- I learned that standing up for yourself and choosing a new provider should you feel your needs are not being met is critical. Along the same lines, I learned that there is a provider out there for everyone, you just have to be
annoyingpersistent enough to find him or her.
- I learned a lot about the benefits of having a doula and firmly believe that all women, especially those experiencing childbirth after infertility, should have one even if they don’t plan a natural birth.
- I learned that men can be asshats during pregnancy. They can also be incredibly accommodating by pretending to have not heard the giant Homer Simpson fart you just bounced off the wooden chair.
- I learned that pregnancy hair is awesome and that pregnancy ass expansion is less awesome.
- I learned that mothers and mother-in-laws become insane beasts when you are carrying their first grand-baby.
- I learned that showers can be thrown whenever you please, by whomever you please, and with whatever theme you please, etiquette be damned.
- I learned that while growing a human can occasionally leave you going “OMG, that is so gross,” is is mostly amazing and something that was well worth fighting for. Even if a little pee sneaks out every time you sneeze. (KEGELS!)
According to my weekly pregnancy emails, I only have 13 weeks left of this pregnancy. Those first 13 weeks went so agonizingly slow and then, BAM, it seems like time hit the accelerator and now I blink and a new week has set in. A lot of the past 27 weeks have been spent in panic about something: keeping the baby inside and healthy, finding a job then moving, family drama, friend drama, an internal war with my former eating disorder self, etc. My intention for the last trimester is to try and savor what remains. I will never be here again. I want to look back at these last 13 weeks and feel like I really lived it.
What steps have you taken to relish your pregnancy despite stressful times in your household? What has been your No. 1 piece of ASSvice, either pregnancy or infertility related – we all get it, no matter what stage of the game we are at!