I write so often about Sabine’s struggles with sleep that I worry you might not realize what an amazingly awesome little person she is. I also worry that in the depths of sleep deprivation I’ll forget how blessed I am to be this exhausted! Today I want to share a few bullet points of some of my favorite things about Sabine. It may seem corny, but some days the silly little giggle she makes after passing gas really makes my day!
A Few of My Favorite Sabine Things
- Toots and Giggles: I love when Sabine works out a toot and then looks up at me with a huge grin and giggles. LOVE IT.
- Stinky Stinky Stinky: Along the same line, I love when we are nursing and Sabine toots. She looks at me and giggles and I start tickling her and saying, “Are you stinky stinky stinky???” She laughs and laughs and hides her head all bashful like. It is such a sweet moment between us. Stinky, but sweet.
- Taking Baths Together: Up until last week* Sabine and I bathe together every night. I draw a nice warm bath while the Professor has some special giggle time with her on the changing pad. Once I’m in the tub I call for her and he brings me a naked, smiling baby. She lays along my legs as I gently wash her and tell her all about the strong, healthy parts I’m cleaning. And then we play! We splash, we kick, we explore tub toys, we (she) chew on the wet washcloth. It is really a wonderful, happy end to the really hard days. When we are done tubbing the Professor scoops up the clean baby and takes her to diaper, cloth and sleep suit her. Then I rock and nurse her to sleep. Perfection.
- When I Walk in the Room: Cliché, I know, but this kid’s smile when I walk in the room is a million watts of happy. I love her!
- Dance Parties on the Changing Pad: Maybe it is the softness of the changing pad on her bare skin, or the fresh air that creeps in from the perpetually cracked windows (our radiators are fierce and require cracked windows 24-7), or the promise of a fresh bum, but Sabine LOVES to have a dance party on her changing pad. She kicks, she flaps, she wiggles and giggles. Lately we take turns. She flaps and kicks and then pauses and looks at me and I flap and kick and wiggle and then we both giggle.
- Inspecting: Sabine is at the stage where she is obsessed with inspecting small details. A zipper, the clasp on my nursing bra, the texture of the rug compared to the texture of the ottoman, etc. I love watching her explore the world around her through touch.
- Subway Friends: Sabine LOVES to make new friends on the subway! I have joked more than once that we should just load her up at the top of the 1 train (a few blocks from my house) and ride the 242 blocks all the way to South Ferry and then BACK just for her pleasure. In fact, it is so cold and gross lately that we might just do this! I love watching her lock eyes with the grumpiest looking old guy and watching his face soften as she smiles and flaps her arms in joy.
- Sock Munching: This is a new one for Sabine – SOCK MUNCHING! She will be happily playing with a toy and suddenly spy her sock. With a ravenous eye she grabs her foot, sticks it in her mouth and maws away until her foot is successfully freed from the sock, and the sock is a soggy mess!
I could go on and on. This little person has truly completed my world. She brightens gloomy days and inspires me to be a better woman for her. What are a few of your favorite things? They don’t have to pertain to a child. It can be the furry antics of a pet, your husband, or just the way the wind dances through a particular tree. Share in the comments and encourage us all to have a better day by dwelling on the lovely.
* I am sad that class now gets in the way of our Tuesday and Thursday baths. The Professor is really tall so climbing in the tub with a slippery Bean is hard so I bought a little blue Fisher Price Whale tub for them. I hope she loves it just as much!