You turned nine-months at the beginning of this month. I love the silly, giggling, passionate and sensitive little girl you are becoming. I see a lot of myself in you and, honestly, it delights me. I hope we are the best of friends until the end of my days.
These days you are unstoppably curious. You inspect everything with the greatest care… and then you taste it. At yesterdays’ photo shoot you inspected and then tasted a daffodil. I nearly had a heart attack! I know this sounds cliche, and in 18 years you will roll your eyes at me, but your endless curiosity keeps me young. It reminds me that even as an adult, I can also still find wonder and amazement in the simplest things. Like a stick.
Or a handful of grass.
At nine-months-old you still laugh like Fozzie Bear. It is gruff, and adorable, and does not fit your incredibly petite body. At just under 15 pounds and 26 inches, you are peanut of a girl but your laugh is so big. Just like your pants.
Some of your favorite things are:
- Socks. You like to steal them from your feet, snatch them from the sock box by the changing pad and play in piles of them when we fold laundry. You think it is hilarious when I put your socks in my mouth and growl like a beast. It is even funnier when I bite the socks off your feet like a Ravenous Mama Beast!
- You love your dragon and unicorn puppets and REALLY love when they pretend to eat socks… and then spit them at you.
- You love having soft toys tossed at you. You can be sobbing loudly and when I bonk a stuffed toy off your head you are suddenly thrilled. (This is also how I get you to grin for the camera!)
- You are learning to love food. Current favorite foods are: egg yolks (the No. 1 favorite), quinoa, rice, toast, marinated tofu, and just tonight, lentils.
- You love to snuggle with Mama and nurse, which makes me so happy and fills me with pride and purpose.
- You adore our cats and make a very distinct sound when one struts by. You also have started chasing them. The cats are alarmed. I am charmed.
- You are not quite crawling, but are oh, so very close. At nine-months-old you are discovering that you can army crawl over and under things. Sometimes you get stuck and cry. Don’t worry, Mama always saves you.
- Baby Einstein Old McDonald never gets old. We call it the “Nuclear Option” and break it out when nothing else will soothe. You sit up tall, giggle and clap as you watch it.
- Being tickled, snuggled and then tossed in the air is the current favorite way to end a nursing session. So sweet.
At nine-months-old you dislike:
- Diaper changes.
- Carrots. Lord, do you dislike carrots.
- Being taken away from the litter box. (You REALLY want to taste it. Mama REALL does not want you to taste it.)
- Naps. You are too cool for naps.
- The elevator. I have no idea why.
- Not being the center of my world.
Little girl, you have come so far in just 9 months. I can’t wait to see what the next nine bring!
Love you always,